Life Lessons from the heart of a dog
![]() |
Most dogs have big hearts. Some master's do too. This master's heart could use some work. What about you? All I know is we all could learn a lesson or two from the heart of a dog...
Yes, we have a lot to learn. Dogs too, but they learn more naturally. Our learning typically comes through strife and struggle. They accept things more readily. We are less accepting and more skeptical. We find it harder to gain a positive perspective. We could benefit by looking into the more positive viewpoint our dogs display most of every day.
Dogs are generally happy creatures. Accepting creatures. Their cups are half-full even when their dog bowl is empty. They are trusting we will fill it to the top when we get the time. Dogs don't know what we do with all our time but trust we will get to them eventually. They wait expectantly. Their gratitude oozes out in spite of having to wait patiently with no understanding as to why.
They don't care never doubting our care.
Ever wonder what goes on in your dog's mind? Maybe AI will discover a way. We do know they begin each day with a smile, a lick, and a jubilant spirit. They fully embrace whatever the upcoming day entails or in tails. Pun intended. They don't have a clue to the day's agenda and they don't really give a bark. Their not-knowing is a non-issue. No questions. No care. No worry. Only blind trust in the one who loves them most.
Kinda like how God loves us the most so we should trust Him the most. That calls for a child-like faith and a dog-like trust.
Dogs are accepting and accommodating even when not having a clue with what's up with you. Good mood. Bad mood. They're all good. No talking back. No responding bad attitude from them. Just patient listening ears to whatever we might want to share or vent about. Your secrets are safe with them!
Kinda like how God holds our prayers close at heart and just between the two of us.
We could all use a reminder of living full-out without a care in the world. Look no further than to the dog in your house. A day's proposed agenda is a mystery to them. They don't care. They were not consulted or considered but will fully embrace whatever's the master's plan. Their only request is to hang out the car window even if it makes their jowls shake, rattle, and roll in the most unbecoming way. They don't mind how they look. They are living their best life with no comparison. No judgement. Just all-out in the only life they have ever known fully confident there is none better.
Kinda like how God is our Master and we should trust in His plan for us with no judgement or care or comparison.
Our furry friends believe in the best of our intentions. They are certain we hold their best interest at heart. Never doubting. It's true. We do. They assume the best in us even on our worst and ugliest of days.
Kinda like how God doesn't see us how we were or how we are but how we will one day be.
When the leash clicks onto their collar, dogs have to wonder where they we going. Are we going to the park? Hope so. To the vet? Hope not. Not knowing doesn't keep dogs from going. They seem to sit on ready-to-go.
Kinda like how God has a plan for my life and I should sit ready-to-go conquer that exact plan because it will be for my best above all the rest.
Dogs don't question whether their master will take care of them. They don't fuss and fret like we do. Will my needs be met? Food arrives in the dog bowl each and every day two times a day. Sometimes it arrives later than hoped but arrived it did. Dogs celebrate even if it's the same dry food they've had year after year day after day. They desire sparkling cold water but are okay with tepid, then...poof...there it is! They count on it. They expect it. They get it. They are grateful for the simplest of pleasures.
Kinda like how God sent manna from heaven to daily nourish the Israelites. We should be motivated to express gratitude for His daily provision to meet our needs as well.
Our happy-go-lucky dogs do go through life challenges. They more take it in stride and let their hearts still exude love in the midst of it all. When we give them the not-so-tasty medicine to cure an ailment, we may receive push back and see struggle. We know it's for their best so we may have to use some force or trickery to force it down. We might even have to add a spoon full of sugar to help the medicine go down. In the most delightful way, of course. We do all this for their good, of course.
Kinda like how God allows things in our life that aren't pleasant but we can trust He allows only what is for our ultimate good.
A little discomfort now can shield us from greater discomfort down the road. The master knows best. Father knows best. Our Father Who Art in Heaven knows the best of all.
When it's time to trim, snip or cut, I often don't find a willing participant in my pet. He doesn't realize this too is for one's good. Those nails can get so long they can trip him up! I recently thought Murphy had hurt his leg as he limped along. False assumption. He was walking crazily slipping and sliding away in need of a pedicure. Nails cut. Slipping remedied.
Kinda like how God knows when I need a pruning or a clean-up when I'm slipping and sliding away from Him.
The more my Murph huffs and puffs and wiggles and squirms as he fights against the trimming process, the more difficult it becomes for both of us. He needs to relax. Be still. Surrender to what his master is doing to groom him. Then he can more enjoy his caring spa experience.
Kinda like how God doesn't want me to squirm and fight Him as He is shaping me into who He made me to be.
I broke a bowl this week unloading the dishwasher. I had to block Murphy out of the kitchen while I was on clean-up duty. He didn't like it. He protested. I did it for his good. For his protection. We all know that but he didn't fathom that. He did not thank me for my protection. I still did it despite his revolt because I knew it was best. It was my job to guard him from undue pain and potential injury. It didn't matter that he didn't like it. I did it anyway.
Kinda like how God protects me from way more pain and agony than I can possibly realize. I don't recognize all He does on my behalf. Just like my dog, I often don't thank Him for His protection similar to how my dog rarely thanks me.
Last month's blog post hurt my Murphy's feelings. I had to apologize. Hopefully that gets me out of the dog house. My dog is a dog. I needed to settle that once and for all. I want to now focus on the many life lessons I should learn from the heart of my dog. I hope you have a big-hearted dog living in your house. They make us better. We see their heart being so open and accepting of us. We can grasp that as an example of how to become more accepting as well.
A dog gone great blessing for us all!
So, I hereby proclaim that Murphy Garvin is a dog. He is one of the 87 million dogs who live in the US of A. He is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, one of the many 350 different breeds. We all have our favorites. What's your favorite?
Kinda like how God would stop my rambling now and my complaining later. He would want me fully embracing my life even when I don't know what my day may bring. I need to be more trusting of my Master in a similar way to my dog fully trusting me. Maybe just maybe if I make note of his open heart, it can be a first step to help soften mine.

Comments
Post a Comment